Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Beware those who would challenge the memory of Nelson!

I am not a religious person, but I do believe that actor-icon-little man Nelson De Le Rosa was a magical being when he was living among us. The clip of the late Nelson’s terpsichorean talent that I put up on YT has now reached nearly a half-million views, and its click-count rises every day.



Thus, I was a little peeved to find that another little man is horning in on Nelson’s turf: Nepalese teenager Khagendra Thapa Magar (right) has received press recently for being the “world’s smallest teenager,” measuring a mere 1’ 10”. Nelson, by comparison, was a grown (ouch) man who by the time I first saw him was a ripe 25 years old, and he was a full 28” tall, which means you would be able to see him walking around the streets (I assume Magar sorta needs to be carried places).

Sure, Magar is cute and cuddly and oh-so-tiny. But he’s just a friggin’ kid, and Nelson was an adult man who accomplished a lot in his life: he was a good luck charm for the Boston Red Sox; acted with Marlon Brando (for real!); and did my favorite (hands down) Michael Jackson impression ever (what is the point of a seeing yet another fully grown person doing an MJ dance? Nelson recreated the “Thriller” number and he was fucking 2 ft, 4 inches!).

Anyway, there will no doubt be more news surrounding this pretender to the throne as the months go by. But I will continue to cherish my memories of the one and only Nelson. As I researched this post, I found that Nelson’s family and/or manager certainly didn’t respect him as I much as I have, though, since he’s currently being exhibited in a museum. Ah, the indignities of the tiny….

No comments: